Sunday, November 4, 2012

Diving at Mabul Island

I selected Scuba Junkies only because the Captain had been here years ago and he really liked it.
What he forgot to tell was that it is aimed at backpackers, when it comes to everything they have to offer.
I wasn’t really aware of the price difference compared to the other places around, so when I heard comments like, “The cheapest option around” I wasn’t all too excited. Yes, saving a few bucks and getting to go to the same place as the neighbor resort, it makes sense, right?
Well, to some extend only, and that is if you are here for a specific purpose other than checking Mabul and Sipadan off on your list as having been there.
I wanted to take pictures, some good pictures, but I would need good guides to do that. Actually Albert and Christian were going to Mabul and Sipadan as well, but it just didn’t match my dates. They had another booking at the Dive Rig off the coast, maybe which I ought to have gotten onto as well.
But I was talked out of that idea by someone suggesting that I probably wanted to be on the island instead, nice beached etc.
It didn’t take long for me to realize that most of the people working for Scuba Junkie were backpacker material themselves, dive masters or instructors with plenty of dives and capable of leading dives at the dive sites here.
But what I learned from Albert was that the dive master is the key to everything.
Taking a “tourist” dive master to show you around, is like finding a tourist who has been to a place once before if they would like to be your guide. It sounds harsh, but that is the reality.
The price should be secondary when considering going here.
Take into account the money spent on the ticket already, the time off people take from work and how far away it is from home.
To start saving money on the actual activities on the other side of the world, that’s the wrong way to do it. I learned this the hard way and deeply regret it at the moment.
What I needed was not a dive master to take care of me when being underwater, I think I can handle that myself.
I wanted to see some of the cool things they had to offer here in Mabul and Sipadan.
Do some more muck diving as we did in Anilao, but it was hard to find any guides at Scuba Junkie capable of that. I was eventually hooked up with a little local guy called Khai, who took me out on a couple of sunset and night dives, pretty exclusively - and expensive.
 The other DM’s working there are friendly enough, that’s not the problem, he was just a lot better when it comes to finding small stuff.
I went on a few 3 night dives with him, trying to get the most of Mabul waters, the last dive though we brought along a girl who had never been diving before, so it turned into some night dive intro instead.
It is a real pity, Mabul and Sipadan have so much to offer, I can see that on other people’s pictures.
The problem is just how to get to see it yourself. If you are a backpacker, looking to do some pretty decent diving, whether it is the first time ever diving or the price is very important to you, try Scuba Junkie.
However, if you have something special in mind, if you don’t mind shedding a little extra cash to get the most of your diving as it might be the only time in your life that you will ever go there, then go with another company and do the research properly before booking.
The people I got to meet there were really nice, both guests and staff, but all the time there was this feeling of being too superficial in the air all the time.
I can’t really say it is their fault, they cater to a wide audience, I should probably blame myself for not doing enough research before going.
I am not looking for special treatment, but to me it is not professional to mix new divers and seasoned ones on the same dives. It turns into a babysitting session instead, which can sometimes be funny, but most of the times it is pretty annoying.
On one dive with this DM Corinda, we were looking at these super tiny sea dragons that usually doesn't live in Mabul. Suddenly some diver taking the certificate comes dumping down because he wants to see as well.
He must have been carrying led enough for 5 people, because he literally dumps down and stands there looking stupid. He lands with both feet directly on top of what we are looking at and almost knocks out our dive master hitting her in the head with his tank. She could have gone unconscious with a hit like that. Total amateur!
They could have made special camera teams for example, having a good guide to go with them. Don’t just use single persons as fillers on the different boats, that’s not nice.
It is not that I think Scuba Junkie is a bad company to visit Mabul and Sipadan with, it is just up to ones preference what you want to get out of  the visit. I am a little disappointed of the outcome and I wish I could do it over again. On the other hand, I still had a good experience, just thinking too much about how it could have been with the right people.
I guess that is just a lesson to bring along diving from now on, be critical and don't focus on the price too much. Make more bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment