Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dive guide for All4Diving

Got done as an instructor, was getting some very needed sleep and recovered from the last weeks parties and long nights... And many of them, haha
A few movies and some hanging out on the beach later, it was really time to get active again. Just hanging around was too boring. Still had 10 days of diving with All 4 Diving, that had been moved from before the IDC to after. I went to speak to them, but apparently not all things were synched in the company and it took a few phone calls here and there to get some approval for being able to go diving with them again.
The company does sell something called "Work Experience", a package with which instructors can show they have work experience and so get jobs easier.
I wasn't really interested in paying to work for free, so politely thanked no. Both Elias and I were signed up for some guiding in the areas we had been diving so many times already, that could be interesting to try too.
2-3-4-5 days went by. I thought that was it, I was never going to hear from them again. A few days later though the phone rang, they needed some German speaking guide for a few people from Germany and Switzerland.
I had told them I knew German, which is also true, but I had to admit it was a little rusty. Spent the evening finding the dive jargon in German, equipment and so on.
Over the next few weeks there was guiding to be done daily, one day off here and there. Yes, it was not paid, but at least we got to go diving, with some great people working on the boat and met people from all over the world.
Working for free for a company that makes money off us? Well, at least I had not paid to get this experience, so I was pretty content.

No comments:

Post a Comment