Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bali, Nusa Dua

The last two days on Bali, what to do? There wasn't really that much time to go anywhere special as we would end up spending too much time in a car. Down on the South tip of Thailand close to the airport, there are a lot of luxury resorts, just for the fun of it, we checked some of the prices. Found a hotel that looked really good on paper at least and the price was only 1/5th of normal. Sounded like a good deal and we booked it, found a driver and headed down South to Nusa Dua. He had to gas up on the way, love the repairs on the gasoline hose, haha
The area is very different from both Kuta and Ubud, the hotels are all luxury resorts, expensive rooms, expensive restaurants and even the shops and small restaurants outside the hotel areas have upped their prices to a ridiculous level.
There is a huge pool with pool bar and nice waterfall and there is maybe only 30 meters to the beach, quality furniture, no cheap shortcuts anywhere.
But the prices on everything is just not real. It is more expensive than buying the same stuff back in San Diego on local restaurants there, what's that all about. Then it must be better? Nope, very average experience indeed.
Complaints only? No, no, I enjoy relaxing in the pool bar, having waiters serve me food and drinks poolside, looking at the ocean while sipping my PiƱa Colada... It is all just too fake and setup.
There is nothing real Balinese about this hotel or environment, except the people working here, but even they speak really good English.
Even the music at the pool and bars is American rock music from the 90's and then techno and just annoying. Seems like the people working there things we really enjoy listening to it all day long on repeat.
Also it seems Nils and I are the only non-Australian guests at the hotel, seems like this place is really built to cater to Australians. Then again, can't really blame them. Bali is the preferred vacation place for Aussies, so why not. I just know that if I ever come to Bali again, I am going to stay far far away from Nusa Dua. It is everything I don't want to see and experience on my trip. Some people might see this as their dream vacation, I just don't like it. Too bad it is my last experience I will have on Bali hopefully I can remember the fun and good times instead

1 comment: