When I came to the guesthouse, the lady, Mev, was not there, I called her and she said she would be home in 20 minutes or so. Perfect, time for me to get some lunch after the flight. I ordered some Pad Thai, I have had that so many times and a cold beer. I was sitting outside in the sun eating when Mev came back home, she unlocked the room and told me I could come and pay her when I had some money later today.
While sitting eating my food my stomach suddenly started bubbling and I had to run to the bathroom and out came all the Pad Thai again, yes, also through the nose.
I sent Nils home with a severe BaliBelly, and met a couple of other people in the airport with the same sympthoms, but hoped that I had gone free. Apparently not. From that moment on, I started freezing even though it was 35 degrees outside, I got goosebumps all over the body and know I had the fever now. A small gift from Nils before he left I guess. 20 minutes later I crawled back to restaurant bar that shares the garden with the guesthouse, I still had not paid my bill. I had been so much in a hurry that I forgot to close doors on the way and they had heard it all. The girls from the restaurant came to me being all sorry thinking it was the food I just ate. Even Mev came to hear if I was ok.
Later that evening the phone called, I woke up and didn't know where I was. Dripping in sweat and definitely with a fever. It was Raj calling, telling he was going to be a little late. Perfect, more sleep was what I needed. 3 hours later and feeling a little better it was party time and I went to the bar street to hit it off. I met with Raj, we had a few beers and laughed a little, then the stomach said stop. I could not imagine me running through the bars with all the nice girls puking on all of them... That was my cue card to retreat, sorry man.
Went almost to the Southern tip of the Phuket Island, but then it started getting a little dark. Found a view point, where all the beaches could be seen looking North, closest Kata, Karon and Patong. Looking to the west, there was a sunset worth watching too.
At some point I really had to go to the rest room and there was one next to the beach, couldn't make it further away. It cost 5 baht, ok, I could pay that, when I asked for toilet paper he pointed to small folded piles of toilet paper on the table with a stone on it. I took one order of toilet paper and ran in, just in time. After a minute or two I looked at what he had given me and I started laughing. 4 sheets of toilet paper, really bad quality on top of that. Oh well, time to use those water hoses they have next to the toilets. Yikes!
After the little scooter trip, it was back to bed, enough fresh air for one day.
Must have slept about 20 hours a day, at least. Couldn't eat, didn't have any energy and so just got weaker and weaker. One day I forced myself to go to the Danish restaurant Thomas and I had been to a few weeks earlier, I thought some Danish meatballs would cure this entire thing. The meat balls had been fried in butter and were so greasy and salty I had a hard time swallowing them. The "rye-bread" was some vacuum packed biscuit style, so dry the bread crumbled when sticking the fork in it. Had to give up after only 1 meatball, then walked back to the room even more dizzy than on the way there.
I bought 4 beers the first day, there was still 3 beers left the last day when leaving the guesthouse - that's how serious my stomach was acting!
Didn't know where to go after Patong and was looking at the map. This was the last night planned in Patong, so either more nights to be reserved or move on. There were plenty of options, but I took a bold step and booked 3 flights, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and then to Gold Coast, Australia.
Time to leave Thailand for now, it has been a great place, have met a lot of great people and have probably laughed harder here than in any of the other countries I have been to. And yes, I will be back again, many more times I predict, maybe at some point never to leave again, who knows.

No comments:
Post a Comment