I first heard about The Grampians from Patrick and Claudine on the dive boat, a national park which was supposed to be beautiful. Well, I didn't expect it to be within reach of the Great Ocean Road trip, so when I found out, from the two new room mates, I wanted to combine both. It was only around 2 hours North of the end of The Great Ocean road and the driving was nice because it was almost full-moon and nobody else on the roads, I maybe met 4 cars and a extra long truck.
I came to the village around half an hour past midnight, and had intentions of getting up before sunrise, because I kind of messed up a little bit. I thought I had an extra day and could rent the car for 2 days, but after checking my itinerary, I saw my plane was leaving at 10 in the morning I thought I should just rent for 1 day and be back in the hostel to back and ready to leave next morning.
I didn't figure it would be necessary with a hostel because it was only going to be for 3 hours. I found a nice spot in the forest where I parked, reclined the seat and tried to sleep. Damn this car was uncomfortable, this is not something the cars are built for, I can see that now. Lesson learned for my trip to NZ later, car sleeping not on top of the list. I think I may have slept 2 hours or something, waking up 5 times. It was raining and windy like crazy, the little car was being shaken a lot, with the content inside also being thrown around.
Stopped on the way out of Halls Gap, the little town, to take a few pictures of the animals. Two male kangaroos were showing off a little, beating each other a little with their back legs. Jumping up, supporting themselves on their tail, then using their back-legs to kick the other kangaroo.
These guys are more legs with animal than an animals with big legs, they are huge. Imagine a blow to the stomach this guy could deliver. I got close to take a really good picture, expecting them to run away if I got too close. One of the kangaroos suddenly jumped towards me, which I thought was not a good idea, so I ran back to the car to safety, haha.
I am a little disappointed that I didn't get to see the big red kangaroos that live in the outback. They get up to 3 meters tall and can jump up to 9 meters. Imagine that, I probably wouldn't have made it back to the car with one of those mutant kangaroos chasing me.
More signs on the way out of the park, watch out for kangaroos. They were still here and there up to half an hour after leaving the park. Not all kangaroos were as lucky as those grass feeding early mornings, there were quite a few dead ones along the road. Now I kind of understand why all trucks, dirty cars with people that live in the country side or outback, and even buses, are equipped with (kanga)roo-bars. A truck fully loaded can not stop for a kangaroo jumping out in front of it, too bad. I didn't have any insurance or bars installed, so I was driving and looking for those guys all the way.
People are very law abiding people here in Australia. A sign of 80km/h and they immediately slow down, nobody was speeding on the motorway as they call it here, except the red little Hyundai with a Danish driver easily swooping by everyone.
I made it back with half an hour to spare, got the car returned and everything was good. I went back to the hostel, copied the pictures to my computer, laughed a little at the kangaroos before I fell asleep over the computer. When I woke up, the kangaroo that had been chasing me was staring at me, he was keeping an eye on me, haha

No comments:
Post a Comment