Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Milford Sound

When coming to New Zealand, it doesn't take long before the name, Milford Sound, is in the air. It is supposed to be the most beautiful place in New Zealand, a fiord made from the glaciers, but so pretty you will never forget it.
The place is pretty remote, so it is a lot of driving or a swipe with the credit card to go there by airplane from Queensland in 45min, compared to 4 hours driving. Unfortunately I am not traveling with the Rockefellers, so we were booked for a driving trip to Milford Sound.
Looked like someone had been partying a little too much the previous evening, at least there was a lot of snoring from the back and front seats, both ways. The driver was also a bit tired, but didn't get the luxury of resting, just had to drive the car through the never changing landscape or windy roads and long straight stretches.
But to my enjoyment, the road to get to Milford is also supposed to be the most spectacular drive in New Zealand, so no complaints. The view was not bad at all, but after 4 hours of driving, the little harbor of Milford Sound was a welcomed sight.
We got a pretty good deal on the tickets at least since we went with the company where the car was rented through. That was also the smallest boat though, but didn't really matter. With room for 150 people and only 20 aboard, it wasn't crowded at all.
After having rested for 20 min or so the moment had come, it was time for the famous Milford Sound Cruise, wow.
The cliffs offered numerous waterfalls falling from a few hundred feet, breaking all records on New Zealand. We were actually went this particular day as it was the only sunny day in the week, but were told there that the best day to go would have been on a rainy day as it would create even more waterfalls from the high cliffs.
Actually some of the waterfalls were quite spectacular, I have to admit that, but after a while it became a little monotonous. I mean, there was not really anything else to see, apart from seals laying on a rock. I have seen many of those already, so not really adding any points in my book.
I don't know how to put it, but personally I actually think it is one of the best marketing stunts in New Zealand.
It was described like a place you just couldn't miss if being in New Zealand. I went there and can say that there are many other places here that are going to rank way higher than the Milford Sound experience. 4 hours of driving both ways, 2 tanks of gas to get on a 90 minutes cruise.
I wouldn't tell people not to go there, but if tight on time or it is not on your way, I would not give it too much attention, even though the fliers and posters are everywhere. Way overrated I would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment