Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas in Thailand

Christmas was closing in fast, in fact just a few days away. I didn't exactly have any plans for any Christmas party, big surprise.
The A1 was hosting a Danish Christmas party, which meant there would be plenty of delicious Danish Christmas food, in fact everything that you can think of that would normally be on a table in Denmark. Claus even promised that there would be a stock of snaps that could not be emptied, haha. Ok, I was convinced and signed up for the party with Elias.
However Christmas day our instructor had ordered me on the boat to assist with 3 French people who were doing their open water certification. On old man around 70, a woman in her 50's and a small boy I thought, who wouldn't listen to any of the instructions we had been giving. Turned out to be 18 year old! They were a handful and our instructor needed a hand and since customers rule the world, there was no getting around the subject.
After finishing the day on the boat, they all needed to go back and practice some exercises that didn't go so well initially. That meant I was going to be pretty late back home. I made it back 10min before the dinner started, so there was no rush. Just a tiny bit...
The entire place had been closed for a private party and was full of happy people when we came. Now there were two more, that was for sure. All the girls were dressed in Christmas costumes, which were to be found in excess everywhere, every street, every corner, every shop.
We were seated and had food, it was really good. Claus popped the cap of the first bottle of snaps, and when that was empty, I bought another one.
There was a nice vibe, Danish Xmas music in the background, had to remind myself that we were sitting in 30 degrees in Thailand having a typical Christmas celebration.
I was sitting across Goy who was happily toasting when we had the first bottle going, but she slowed down a little bit after a while. On bottle 2 she said no thanks and took away her glass. That we fixed by serving her in the snaps cap, hehe.
Right in the festivities Elias got an SMS from our instructor, he was going to be on the boat tomorrow, which meant he had to be ready the next morning at 7am. That ticked me off a little bit and when I cooled down a little bit, I wrote a text back to her, where I reminded her that it was Christmas and some people actually celebrate that. She responded back that Elias didn't have to go on the boat next morning - and the party could continue. 
I am not exactly sure how many bottles I bought, but everyone was getting a little tipsy. (I was told the next day that I would never again be allowed to buy snaps at their restaurant hahaha)
I was the last one to call it quits on the food, as I was trying to keep the steady flow of Nordic life juice a little bit at distance with some healthy amount of food. Seemed to work as I remember everything going on that evening, which can't be said about so many other people.
When the food was over, we continued in the bar for a little while before people slowly made it back to their rooms or continued out in the night to party.
We of course chose the later, but as the camera didn't have enough juice, there are not so many memories about the remainder of the evening.
It was a great evening and even though it Christmas doesn't matter too much to me, it was quite nice to celebrate the evening with very good friends, good and fun memories, haha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment