Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year

New Year parties were plentiful, but they were all a little impersonal. Claus and Goy were luckily hosting a New Years party, saving our butts once again.
There would be dinner at the A1 restaurant until 9pm, then we would continue the party at some of Claus's friend's place. They own an apartment very high up in the most posh place by the beach, Patong Tower. Well, New Years party requires something else than shorts and a pair of flip flops.
We went shopping among the 100s of Indian people who controlled the suit sewing business in Patong, if not Thailand. I got measured everywhere and everything was good - until I told the guy he had to be done by tomorrow afternoon. Somehow he managed anyway and we were ready.
Henri, an old buddy from Nokia had been traveling the Philippines a little bit and had announced his arrival on New Years day in Phuket. Also another Nokia guy, Marko, was flying in from San Diego to join the fun.
Henri had met another Finn in the Philippines who would be joining as well, so I signed all of them up for the dinner party.
I had hooked them up with the guesthouse where I had been staying for a while. They were so happy that I was sending guests their way, haha
Claus had been talking about these Australian steaks for so long, he was going to have them for New Years. I guess he was right, because they were actually quite good, but once it was gone, there was not more. It was just enough to start the taste for a steak, haha
I wasn't allowed by Claus and Goy to by any snaps, so it was a little difficult to get the party kickstarted. But never the less we got a few drinks before leaving for the Tower Party.
I had seen the tower from far away so many times, standing in front of it now and it was pretty impressive. We went in and split in a few groups in the elevators up to 24th floor.
We entered and immediately went to the balcony overlooking the beach and the ocean, stunning view. On the beach that evening a huge party was going on, now we didn't have to go anywhere, but could see everything from up there. Quite a breathtaking view of the entire city, wow.
The guys owning the place had gone crazy I think, there were so many bottles of alcohol of every kind, at least this Claus could not tell me to leave alone, haha.
Everyone had a good time, a lot of drinks were put away this evening, I can guarantee that because I was pouring most of them. Kind of felt at home in the kitchen where all the drinks were located and mixed, haha.
At midnight there was Kransekager and Champagne while the rockets were exploding either below or in front of the apartment window.
Never thought I should see something like that, pretty cool. There was of course also the mandatory New Years cigar, on the balcony overlooking the fireworks of Patong beach... That felt just about right, haha
After the fireworks, we all ventured out into the wild night and continued our party, at least some of us. Others got a little tired and had to take a nap in the bars.
We went to some of our regular bars and they were very surprised to say the least to see us in suits, normally we would come there in flip flops and a t-shirt.
This was a New Years to remember for sure, it marks the start of a very special year, this one!

Happy New Years

No comments:

Post a Comment