Saturday, December 15, 2012

Finding a place to stay in Patong

I was still staying at the guesthouse where I had been a couple of times, but it was going to be too expensive for a long period. I talked to the owner if we could talk about a price if I stayed a little longer. He had to think for a while and did come up with a discounted price, but it was still going go ruin me fast. So I had to go around and check other hotels, guesthouses and apartments. The problem is that there are so many places around, how can that be a problem you say? Well, to get a good price I would have to talk to a lot of  places, it would be very exhausting.
I was at the hairdresser one day who told me the average prices to live around Patong. It went from about 4000 for a small place up on the hill with out AC, around 10-15000 for a nice room with AC in the middle of Patong to what ever you wanted to pay, getting more expensive the closer the place was to the beach.
I mentioned this to Elias,one of the dive master trainees, he said he would talk to a Danish guy close to his apartment as he had been talking to him when he needed a place himself. I thought it was a little weird that the Swedish guy spent most of his time in a Danish Swedish restaurant, why not get out and see the rest of Patong and Thailand?
One afternoon I went there myself to meet with this guy called Claus. Had a beer and said hi to the owners, but they just said there were no apartment available anymore, so didn't speak too much to them.
We had a couple of beers though and ended up in the bar Thomas and I frequently had visited when he was here, called Bar 8. Apparently it is hard to come up with names for restaurants and bars, so a lot just use numbers, which means that there are a couple of the same numbered restaurants in the city.
Talked to the girls in the bar about options for a place to live, they started to ask around for possible free rooms. The problem was that this was the beginning of the high season, so rooms would already be occupied or very expensive. I talked to some of the guys sitting at the bar, they said it would be a lot easier to buy an apartment, rent it out when I wouldn't be there. Yes, I believe most people living a long time here, have some kind of financial surplus which doesn't exactly describe my situation.
The dive shop had some connections too for a place to stay, I went to see the place and indeed it was quite nice, but too far away from everything. Then I would have to rent a motorbike every month anyway to stay in contact with the world, so I thanked no, without any other options on hand.
I had promised the guesthouse owner to give him an answer whether I would stay or not, so I had to tell him it was too expensive and I was going to find something else. But didn't know when I could move out.
Two days later in the dive shop, Elias came and told me that his neighbors had been evicted and the apartment was empty. He had been asked by the landlady if he knew anyone interested in a place to live with a very short notice.
I went to check out the place, it was definitely not in a touristic area, that was for sure. A lot of people would never find the place if they didn't know about it. Let's just say I didn't fall in love with it looking in from the street, at first I thought it was the wooden house in the front, haha
The room was living room, bedroom, bathroom and balcony for 12000 baht per month, since I couldn't make more than a 3 months deal. I took it without hesitating, just had to start moving my belongings as soon as possible. Now at least I could relax a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment