Saturday, September 24, 2011

Beer in Beijing

Nokia's restructuring all over the world, meant that the Copenhagen office would close in not too long. While some people are embracing the opportunity of doing something else after many years in the company (was that too biased?) another group of people are seeking jobs within Nokia in other countries. One of these guys is Alexander, who is in Beijing at the same time as I, looking at what Beijing has to offer in terms of housing.
We agreed to meet for a beer and I started searching for places with some reasonable beer in Beijing. After searching for a few minutes I realized that there is a huge concentration of German bars and brewing houses where they make their own beer. Carlsberg is also a big part of the street view during night time. I never thought I would be drinking a Carlsberg again and enjoying it as much as I did the other day, but it surely beats the Chinese super light beers. Oh, another interesting piece of information you can't live without. Which beer sells the most in the world? Budweiser, Corona, Heineken, Carlsberg you might be thinking? Nope, it is a Chinese beer, called SnowBeer. Yeah, chances are you probably never heard about it, but it sells more as an individual beer than any other.
Turned out that this weekend a couple of these breweries had October fest celebration. That sounds about right for me, I thought. Klaus had some challenge ordering vegetarian food in a German beer place, where the specialties were meat, sausages, sauerkraut und so weiter. I however was on my home turf, yeah, I had gotten a special deal of the day, which consisted of a meat plate and as much beer as I could drink during the evening. I accepted the challenge and after 4-5 glasses of beer I lost count... Those were 1 liter glases though, haha
Klaus was the first to leave, the beer must hit harder with only veggies in the stomach. Alex had been out the day before and didn't want too much to drink. He kept saying that even after a few Jägermeister, but eventually I found myself alone in a German bar somewhere in Beijng, with no real idea where I was. The subway had stopped driving a long time ago, I had forgotten these small pieces of paper given by Klaus for the taxi driver. The phone was almost out of power and the GPS couldn't get a fix. I walked around and found a few places I had been to earlier, but since I did not know where they were relatively to where I was going, it didn't help. Just as all the beers probably had not helped either.
I finally came to a road I had been on a few times before and started walking. Playing around with the GPS for around 15min I finally got a fix and had an idea where I was. Turned out I had been on the right street, but walking the wrong direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment