Friday, September 23, 2011

Does cheap food equal bad food?

The neighbourhood that Klaus resides in, I would guess could be called very international. There is a street close by called Lucky Street, which looks like a small Las Vegas. It has a lot of restaurants from all over the world and probably caters mostly to foreigners who can't get along with Chinese foods.
Luckily I don't have that problem, so for dinner we went to some regular man's noodle place and it seemed to be very popular among younger people. The menu was on the wall, with only very few pictures, so I let Klaus do the ordering, as if it would make a difference, haha. I mean, if he is the picky one being vegetarian, he can do the ordering too and be responsible himself if there is meat. I had no idea what he ordered, but since I was paying and she only asked 51RMB from me, I got a little nervous that he had not ordered anything for me. It was all taken care of he said, when I saw the beer in the fridge and mumbled the only Chinese word I know, which is beer. I was happy, I had ordered something in Chinese, but that was already on our order, so in fact I had just rushed them to give me my beer NOW!
We sat down facing the kitchen which was halfway in a basement with glass windows, so we could follow the action in there through the dirty windows. The beers were on the table in seconds and after a minute or so, I got some kind of sandwich served, very similar to pulled pork. A little greasy and I grabbed for the chili at the table. The waitress immediately came to me and said something pointing at the chili, maybe she was warning me, I just nodded and smiled?
Through the windows we could see them make the noodles from scratch in just a few seconds. They pulled the dough a few times, hit it to the table and they had made noodles. He cooked the dish in a few minutes and that turned out to be Klaus's dish, looked and smelled quite good. The chef was preparing the second portion and we figured so much that it was probably mine. When the waitress then came and look at me still eating the rest of my sandwich, she started talking to me. She repeated the same sentence 5 times and talked louder and louder as if I was deaf or something. Again I smiled and nodded and took a sip of my beer (sponsoring the Chinese Space Exploration program) thinking she was asking if it was good. Turned out she was probably asking if I wanted my dish without meat too, because the chef was fishing something out of my dish before serving it and the noodle soup with pork that Klaus had order for me, had no pork. The dish smelled even better than what Klaus had gotten, and it tasted even better.
So, we got 2 dishes and a juicy pork sandwich accompanied with 2 beers, all for 51RMB, which is around $8. That's a pretty good price, especially taken into account that we had sushi the other evening which ended up being 10 times more expensive. Both places made us equally full...

We walked a few minutes from the restaurant and Klaus thought I should have a Steff Houlberg sausage, a Danish brand. I thought he was kidding me, but he had actually taken me to a hotdog bar. I was really full and couldn't eat more, so he said he needed to go to the bathroom and I should come. Ok, that didn't sound right, but I followed him around the corner, where there was a corridor to the bathroom. He stopped and pressed a button on the wall and the wall slid to the side and he walked in. A little surprised I went through and I was now at the FuBar.
That was some interesting bar entrance, but I guess it works to stand out sometimes. There was a lot of foreigners at the bar, which I could have been without, but we had a few drinks before heading back home. Being a pale face is not very exotic if the place is already full of them, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment