The two biggest tourist attractions in Beijing are by far the Forbidden City and the Tiananmen Square. They are practically next to each other so easy to get from one to the other.
The Forbidden city was the Chinese Imperial palace back in the old days. It was built some 600 years ago and was in use for over 500 years serving as the home of the emperors of China. As the name implies it was not accessible to the regular Chinese man, but today it serves as a museum and attracts more people than most other museums I am guessing. I went on a weekday so it was not as crowded as it could be during the weekend, but still so many people that I ended up getting a little irritated. The area that the Forbidden city covers is huge, almost 1x1km, and the amount of buildings and rooms is almost unreal. There is supposed to be almost 1000 buildings and some 8700 rooms and after some time I decided just to trust the information page and skip the counting I was doing. It is crazy big and even though maybe half of the area inside the city's walls is open squares, the rest is still unbelievably big.When I got to the entrance I was greeted every few seconds by a Chinese who wanted to sell me a personal guided tour. I politely said no thanks, but after the 20th person asked me, I started just ignoring them. I got my ticket and entered the inner courts just to find even more people. The buildings in the middle had something interesting centered in the building it seemed, because people were flocking around those buildings. I went up there and being a head higher than most people served me well that day.
One thing I don't like about China though is that missing personal sphere. They don't mind walking all the way up to other persons and standing a few millimeters away. Even worse, in front of these buildings people were trying to get some pictures and they were pushing like crazy. There were so many tour companies with speakers and flags that shouted out loud all the time, really annoying. It became a diligent game of getting in between two groups, so being on my own there was actually quite nice.
At some point I was quite annoyed with some many people pushing me that I stood still and this guy kept running into me and he looked up when I didn't move when he pushed me. Then he stood there for a second or two and then gave up. A moment later, someone was waving a hand in front of my face, and I turned around and a woman was standing there. I thought it was another tour guide giving me yet another offer I could not refuse, but she just stood there and kept waving and smiling to me. After a 2-3 seconds of looking at her, she somehow seemed familiar to me, but could not place her. It turned out she was the woman that had sat in the bus to the Great wall behind me. Of all the places in the world, I did not expect to meet anyone I knew in the Forbidden city. We talked for a few minutes and both agreed that the hike had been a much better experience that this super crowded museum thing.After 3-4 hours I had had enough and started walking out, which was only another kilometer, haha. From the outside the whole forbidden city looked just as impressive and quiet beautiful actually. A 50 meter wide moat surrounds the entire city, which then has walls 8-10 meters high, which is enough to impress me, having the Danish castles in my mind.
I got out and went over to the square in front of the forbidden city, the Heavenly Peace square or Tiananmen Square as the Chinese call it. The square is the largest city square in the world, and yes, it is quite big, but the biggest in the world? Most people probably know the square from the protests back in the late 80's that ended with the military crushing the protests killing hundreds of people. There were no descriptions of that event anywhere, no symbolic reminder of any kind to remember what happened, other than the video clip most people remember of a guy standing in front of a tank, trying to stop it using his body. Interestingly enough, it seems like young Chinese people don't know this as it is censored in China.
Maybe this square used to have a significant meaning back when the forbidden city was still forbidden and the country had an emperor, but now I don't see any other reason for this square than a place to have military displays.I would say I am a little disappointed in both these tourist attractions, it seems a little bit too arranged all of it. The Forbidden City has some very beautiful structures and is in very good condition considering it is 600 years old and mostly from wood, but there is just something unappealing about it all, don't know what it is


No comments:
Post a Comment