Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 0-1, get set, ready...

The day was spent doing laundry, packing and cleaning up my temporary domicile at Thomas and Claudia's place. Went to REI for the 10th time to buy another backpack. Was originally planning to go with one carry on bag only, but after stuffing my favorite fleece in there not having room for anything else I changed my plan. A large backpack big enough to contain my smaller backpack too when going off road, so that I could compress everything to one backpack. I have to carry it for the next 5 months, it can't be too heavy, but should be big enough that I can have at least some clean clothes. I learned my lesson from Peru, hiking up a 4000 meter mountain ridge with a 17kg backpack. I sweat and change shirts and end up carrying wet even heavier shirts, then sweat even more and have to carry even more water... You get the idea.
After several re-packs I ended up with a big 11kg backpack, only half full, and a small carry on with 2½kg. If I have to go anywhere in nature, I can take the smaller backpack and only fill it with essentials, leaving the bigger one behind. That should work.
It is now 8pm, I think I am all set now. Got my Chinese visa, got plenty of cash, up to date on vaccinations, still waiting for my new credit card without international processing fees, my bags are packed. Oh shit, I have no ticket yet!!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, now tell me what is the credit card w/o intl. processing fees? I want one of those...

    And Bon Voyage!

    Sirpa :)))

    ReplyDelete