When I got up Yumi was asking me if I wanted to play tennis with her. I was laughing saying no thanks, just rolled out of bed and didn't fancy tennis too much. She looked a little disappointed so I told her I didn't have any stuff with me, no shoes, no shorts, no nothing... Turned out she went swimming and played tennis every day after sending the two small trouble makers to school.
Instead we agreed to take a day trip to Busan, a city on the SouthEast coast of the Korean peninsula. Until a few years ago it would take the entire day to go there, but now there was a bullet train going from the middle of Seoul city to Busan in just 3½ hours. We would jump on the train in the nearby station, but since Yumi was busy and couldn't babysit us everyday, they had changed the insurance on their cars so that we could drive as well. Amazing!So we found her little Mini parked in the garage and Hyunju tried to get the GPS going. Afterall it was in Korean and there I am not so much help. After playing around with it for 20min, I told Hyunju to call her sister and ask for help. 2 minutes later we were on our way. I could only sit and look at that GPS, I could see a line showing where to turn etc, but didn't quite understand any of what the thing kept saying. I am not exaggerating when I say that it was saying something every 10-12 seconds. All the time.
We found the train station and got tickets, 1st class that is, because the cheap ones were sold out. Hungry we went to the local train station cafeteria to get some food. I was a little skeptical knowing what kind of junk you would be able to get in a Danish train station, but boy was I in for a surprise. The food was really good, the place was clean and people nice. Ha, they could export this as a package to Denmark!
The tickets we got were called movie seat tickets, and shortly after we took off from the station, the nice ladies working in the train came and pulled down the blinds all the way in the train. So much for getting a window seat where I could see the landscape passing by. A movie screen was pulled from the ceiling and a movie started. It was Korean, so I didn't get much of what was going on, but people laughed, so I guess it was funny? The only place where I could see the Danes being ahead on the Koreans when it comes to trains, is the power plug on every seat. There wasn't one here, but there was free Internet, like everywhere else in Korea. Nice!
3 hours later we arrive in Busan, I am not sure what to expect. It turns out that Hyunju knew as much as me when it came to what we were going to see and do here, haha. But at least Yumi had given us instructions on where to go for lunch and what so see.
Busan has huge fish markets where people can go and take a look at fresh fish, select what they want and then the fish is prepared right in front them, being it sushi, deep fried, BBQ'ed or whatever way you can think of. And by fresh I mean alive - you point, they kill for you.
I am not exactly sure what all the animals on display were called, but they were making bubbles everywhere, maybe knowing that their time would be up soon.Hyunju didn't like the fact of killing animals for food, so we ordered some that were already dead. I see the big difference, I do, hahaha.
Some fish combo 5 different fishes for almost no money. If you like fish this is a great place, but if you don't then you might have picked the wrong place to visit.
We jumped on a bus to a "famous" place in Busan, the most Southern tip of the city, Taejongdae, where the Sea of Japan meets the East China Sea. Expecting some furious waves from both sides I was kind of disappointed when it looks like a bath top here. Oh well, at least we got a walk out of it, so now we deserved a beer...Took the subway to another not-to-miss spot in Busan. There were a couple of beaches along the subway, and whenever the train stopped at one of them, there would be the sound of the ocean, birds and fish (you know the sound?) How great an idea is that? It is all about the small details.
We arrived at Haeundae and spent around 20 minutes finding a place that sold beer. Even asked in a shop, they didn't know! Ok, but the interesting thing was that this is supposed to be a place where people party and drink more than most other places.We eventually found a bar, hidden away among other signs I couldn't interpret, but this one was easy enough.
Knowing that the subway took almost 40 minutes, it wasn't too much rocket science to calculate backwards from the last train departing to Seoul. That meant we had 2.5 hours to go before having to leave again.We found a restaurant where Hyunju ordered food for an entire football team. After a few beers and sojus, Hyunju went into this casual mode, which means time stops ticking for her apparently. We have time enough she said all the way, which meant we missed the subway train and had to wait 10min for the next one. It would arrive one minute before the other train was departing. Crap.
With one minute to spare, we ran and ran, up stairs as if it was for an Olympic medal. My legs were slowly became so heavy and slowly turned into rubber. The station was almost empty, except a few ladies standing strategically in the departure hall. They knew we were on our way, and was holding the train. Imagine that! The train personal greeted us bowing their heads when we arrived, instead of screaming at us to hurry up. Where else in the world would this happen?
Hyunju was sleeping I was trying to stay awake to get us off the train at the right station. Apparently I had been napping too, because I was in the bathroom when the train stopped, 2 hours before our stop. When I got out Hyunju was looking for me. It was our station and we barely got out before the train continued. Imagine she had not found me, I would be on my way to Seoul without a phone and computer, not knowing where to go, haha.

No comments:
Post a Comment