Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bartending, Elias style

Like so many other days, it was nice weather in Patong, 35 degrees in the shade and only a few clouds on the sky. In other words, it was time for the beach.
The water here at the is 29-30 degrees when going diving, probably 1-2 degrees warmer here at the beach, doesn't really have the chilling effect the same way the cold San Diego water would. That's why it is so nice here, haha.
On the beach there is full service, food, drinks, shopping and massage. In fact, I am pretty sure that as long as you are willing to pay for it, you can get whatever you want, they will find it!
Like so many other nights, we decided to have a drink. Like so many other nights, we ended up at the BJ Bar owned by my friends Sopa and Somsak. Elias wanted it to be a little different night, so he asked if he could come and work in the bar that night.
Being the fantastic customers that we are, they agreed to that, but of course he couldn't be dressed like some tourist. An apron and a nice tie, made him look much more professional.
Soon he was in the trade of mixing drinks, he needed a little help in the beginning, but quickly picked up the way of doing things... Kind of. I am not sure the first drink he served was any good judging from the other bartenders face, but you don't become a professional in just one evening, right?
A little more practice and it went much better, he just needed intense supervision, like when small kids are baking a cake, haha. No, I guess he did ok, at least they didn't kick him out of the bar right away.
After a while however he was moved to the cleaning station, here he couldn't scare away too many customers. He must have been doing a good job, because after a while he was back in the drink mixing role, but now he had a new strategy. He would mix the drink ones first, drink it himself, and if it was good, he would mix it again for the customer.
Now I didn't want to break it to him, the idea was pretty good, but the approach of doing it was maybe not so smart. Maybe just pour the drink, taste from the shaker and if good, serve it? No, even Jägerbombs were tested!
Either it was pure customer dedication or lack of judgement, but the result was the same. An hour later he found himself in the BJ Bar's trashcan with all the bar employees around him laughing. Lets just say he was as drunk as only a Swede can be. I had to help him walk and it was so bad that when we came to a 7-11 on the way back, I told him to wait, went to buy water, was back again 30 seconds later - but he was gone.
I called him on his phone, searched for him for a bit, but no luck. Didn't want to take a mototaxi in case he had tried walking back and had fallen, but I didn't see him on the way back. The girls from the bar passed me on the way and asked where he was. I said I didn't know, they had not seen him either. Half an hour later he calls me and asks where I am? He was sitting in a bar having a few beers waiting for me. I guess "wait" wasn't clear enough, haha

No comments:

Post a Comment