Hmm. Shit, I was on the purple line, I should be on the green. Up again and walked around for a few minutes looking for the entrance to the green line. Couldn't find it so I asked the security guards, they pointed me to the purple line again. I had spent the first ticket on nothing, so now I had to buy another one, but was out of coins so first had to find someone who could exchange. Ok, maybe there were some stairs down on the platform to the other platform. Nope, couldn't find that either. So I went back to the big map display and that's when I figured out that I wasn't actually on the station I thought I was! I had to take the purple line one station, change and then I was on the green line towards the airport.
I got on the right train and this one would go all the way to the airport as well and actually very cheap, but I wanted to get off on the Maglev station halfway and save 20min. I got my ticket and got up to the platform. Arghhh, just missed the train... And it was the last of the fast ones, so another slow 300kmh ride, haha
Actually I was sitting and looking at the almost empty freeways and thinking what consequences it would have for a city like San Diego if it had a subway system? Take a look at Shanghai's metro system in 2007 and then map today. That's simply mindblowing. To top it off, Shanghai also has the elevated freeways through parts of Shanghai, how is that for innovation America? In the US it takes just as many years 2007-2013 to add a lane or two to the freeway for a few miles. There is something wrong somewhere, that's for sure. Think if you could get on the metro almost anywhere in San Diego and be able to get off in the airport? Oh, but San Diego has the Trolley system... Hahaha, don't make me laugh
Finally I was in the airport, now it was time to retrieve my other bag that I had "forgotten" when I arrived in Shanghai. I went to the counter of China Eastern Airlines and told my store. My ticket stubs were printed on Thai Airways paper and the flight was Shanghai Airlines, so there was some discussion back and forth why I thought that China Eastern Airlines could help me? A few phone calls later and the search was initiated. The supervisor assigned an employee for me who would take me downstairs where I suppose they were going through some lost and found luggage. We were standing in front of a gate for international arrival for 5 minutes when I asked the guy what we were waiting for. He was waiting for some representative from the airline to come out... Another 10min passed and I asked the guy again if they knew we were standing here. He wasn't sure. Why don't you call them and let them know where you are and that you would like to speak to someone from the inside. Good idea he said. I was lucky, must have gotten the smartest guy on call that day.
I was asked to take a seat and wait. I waited, and then waited some more. Now an hour had passed and there was only one hour left before my flight was scheduled to leave. I told him I had to go and went up to the supervisor again. Check in for your flight and when you arrive in the USA, find someone to talk to. Haha, probably I am never going to see that bag again...I went through security and when it was time to board, I discovered that I had lost my ticket. I went to security to see if I had forgotten it there, but no luck. Back to the counter for the flight and there it was on the table. Someone in the terminal had found the ticket and handed it over to the staff. Nice
Got on the flight and to my surprise (not really) there was a kid a few seats away that was screaming and behaving like a little shit. He would scream, kick and hit his mom and grown up sister, but with no consequences. Endure that for 11 hours and you are really motivated to get of that airplane. What a flight
The fastest and nicest immigration check in Los Angeles ever. I think I was one of the only Westerners in the Permanent Resident line, 90% were Chinese that didn't speak any English, so they needed translator of which there was only one, she was very busy. My turn he just asked me if I live in the US, yes, I answer, San Diego. Cool place he said, he was living there himself a few years back. He looked at my passport at some of the recent stamps and visas, smiles at me and says: Did you have a good vacation? Oh yeah, I can't complain. Welcome home Danny. The first time I didn't feel like a criminal entering the USA, more of those people, please!
I found my backpack, went through customs and headed for the China Eastern Customer service desk. There didn't seem to be one, but found their checkin area and got hold of one of their managers. I explained her my story, she took a copy of my boarding pass, passport and luggage tag, came back and gave me an email address to write to in China where I could make a missing luggage claim for my bag? That's it, I asked? That didn't sound very promising.
Oh well, maybe it was time to upgrade the scuba equipment anyway.
I get out of the terminal and is greeted with yellow skies, LA smog at its best. Hundreds of cars and buses circling around the airport, just another example of an airport in the US that can only be traveled to by car/bus. Pathetic I got my rental car, a big Jeep, and drive down to San Diego. I remember I did the exact same trip a year ago, back then I was a little more depressed coming back, this time I knew what to expect and on top of that the sun was also shining a bit more.

Finally back in San Diego and I got sick with some kind of flu or food poisoning. On top of that a cold, all part of being back in California I guess. To speed up recovery I had a few beers with Thomas, some good Italian food and the mandatory burger. Now I feel much better.2 days later I got my missing bag, it was delivered to San Diego airport by Chinese Eastern Airlines and Delta. Thanks a lot
Well, I guess that is it, another wonderful trip to a very different
part of the world that I have come to love. I don't know what the future
will bring, but I need to either win the lottery or find a way to
combine my skills in the electronic/software with something in Asia or
Thailand if I want to go there again. Diving was great, but I don't see
it as a way to make a living for me. I have other skills that can be
utilized, so unless something drastic happens I think diving will still
just be a hobby for me and Thailand only a place to go for vacation. At least for now

No comments:
Post a Comment